United Methodist Women
PURPOSE: United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
About United Methodist Women Global Organization
United Methodist Women (UMW) is the largest denominational faith organization for women with approximately 800,000 members. The entire program and organization of United Methodist Women focuses on mission. Members raise up to $20 million each year for programs and projects related to women, children and youth in the United States and in more than 100 countries around the world.
The VISION of United Methodist Women
Turning faith, hope, and love into action on behalf of women, children, and youth around the world.
The PRINCIPLES and VALUES of United Methodist Women
United Methodist Women and The United Methodist Church’s principles and values include:
- Promoting the empowerment of women, children, and youth.
- Promoting anti-racism and multiculturalism.
- Promoting inclusion and equity.
- Promoting fair labor practices.
- Promoting economic and environmental stewardship and sustainability.
United Methodist Women at St. Marks UMC MesquiteDownload Brochure
All women at St. Marks UMC are eligible to be members of UMW.
Meetings are held twice a month except during some summer months. Meeting dates and time can be confirmed on the church calendar.
- 1st Thursday of each month – 10:00 a.m. – Meet at St. Marks UMC Fellowship Hall for regular meeting to include light lunch, business meeting, event planning, and program speaker.
- 3rd Thursday of each month – 11:00 a.m. – Meet at St. Marks UMC parking lot to carpool to “Birthday Celebration” luncheon restaurant location.
UMW Missions Supported in the Community, Country, and World
- Collecting and donating hoodies and jackets to Mesquite ISD Elementary Schools
- Providing new shoe gift cards for Mesquite ISD
- Collecting and donating coloring books and crayons to Mesquite Police and Mesquite Fire departments to aid displayed children
- Raising money to help with the cost of church projects
- Reception for High School graduates
- Organizing and providing food for luncheons
- Offering care and support for church members
- Sharing Life Community Outreach
- Mesquite Police Santa Cop Toy Program
- Mesquite Social Services
- Children’s Methodist Home in Waco
- Bethlehem and Wesley Rankin Centers
- UMW World Thank offering
- Support Thanksgiving and Christmas baskets
- Support Veterans and First Responders Breakfast
- Support North Texas Conference Missions
- Support other UMW missions and organizations
Books available for checkout are regularly added to the UMC Library section in the Welcome Center. Recent additions include:
- Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
- What Difference Do It Make? by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
- Portraits of Courage by George W. and Laura Bush
- A Love Affair with India by Martha Gunsalus Chamberlain
- Stephen Ministries Journeying Through Grief series by Kenneth C Haugk
- Change Your Brain, Change Your Life by Daniel G. Amen, M.D.